Friday, June 12, 2009

First Week

Summer Scholar, a college program that allows you to earn free credits when you take the summer classes. I signed up for English as the subject of my interest and I ended up with an Autobiography class. I was a bit skeptical about this since autobiography wasn't really something that I would prefer. It was even worse when the book I was assigned to was a political book, another genre that I completely hate! However, I started to change my view on this when my professor entered the class.

I knew that college classes were different from high school, but my professor didn't make me felt that way. For example, she told us that we had quizzes for our readings, but those quizzes were multiple choice. Since this is a summer class, we had to really cram our reading of a few months to five weeks. However, it wasn't as bad as I thought since we only had to read about 20 pages a night, which only took me about 45 minutes a night.

The main assignment we had to do was to write an autobiography. There is a 4-5 page paper due every Monday, but considering that we didn't have to do any research, I think it would be an ease. The hardest part would probably be revising and editing. It also helps is that each day, our topic of discussion help us think of new ideas that we can use in our paper. I started out with worrying about what I should write to having way too many ideas after just a few days of these discussions.

The discussions were also one of the most interesting part of the day for me. It wasn't just answering the questions from our worksheets, but we went beyond that. At times, I felt like I was in a Philosophy class because she made us ponder about the topic so much: what is a race and how do you know if you are that race? It was a bit frustrating because when I thought I had the right answer, and goes and say something that destroys it. It's not a bad thing, but now I really wonder if what I knew was right or not...

Aside from classes, I also did some exploring of the campus. First, I would like to admit that I am a coffee addict, and thankfully, UNO did not disappoint me. There are two coffee stations (one is located within the library and the other in the cafeteria). During my break time, I didn't have to worry about where I should go to get some food since there is a wide selection of restaurants available. I also explored the athletic department. The building is currently in remodeling, but I still think it was pretty sweet. The place was so big! You can rock climb, swim, play racquet ball, and there was even a weight room! I'm hoping that I can work out there during my week stay in.

No comments:

Post a Comment